Thursday, November 3, 2016

Recipe: Grilled Onigiri

Today's recipe is Yaki Onigiri :)



Yaki means Grill, Onigiri is riceball. Simple! It's grilled seasoned rice ball.

Yaki Onigiri is also served in Izakaya(Japanese pubs) in Japan and here in US. Everyone loves the aroma of caramelized soy sauce and the crunchy rice crust.

I remember my mother made yaki onigiri for me when I was studying late at night for exam, and I had it at my study desk.. Onigiri on the left hand, and pencil on the right, in front of hisotory textbook.


Traditional way to make yaki onigiri is to form onigiri using unseasoned white rice, and grill over chacoal using brush to apply soy sauce.

Here I am using difference method which is popular in Japan these days. Mix the rice and the sauce before frying, so onigiri will be seasoned inside as well.


焼きおにぎり
Yaki Onigiri : Grilled Seasoned Rice Ball

Ingredients
  • Cooked Japanese Rice (from 2 cups uncooked rice)
  • Soy sauce : 2 tbsp
  • Mirin : 1 tsp
  • Dashi powder :1tsp
  • Pinch of salt
  • Sesame Oil(Or butter) for greasing pan
Steps

  1. Mix soy sauce, mirin, dashi powder and salt in a bowl
  2. Add cooked rice and mix well 
  3. Form Onigiri using cling wrap *
  4. Heal Sesame oil in a pan over medium heat and cook rice ball until the surface gets crisp and brown. Cook all sides evenly.
SInce soy sayce and mirin browns fast, please keep your eyes on your onigiri. I like crunchy crust, so I usually cook slightly longer.

Yaki Onigiri can be made on a BBQ grill, and if you do, your guests would be happy for sure. You can replace sauce for BBQ sauce. And try wrapping with Nori(seaweed sheet) or fresh lettuce. It's a great to-go snack as well!


*If you are curious how to form nice triangle shape, here is a link of youtube video I found is useful: How to make Onigiri 

No comments:

Post a Comment