Saturday, October 8, 2016

Obento Lunch Box

Today's post is not a recipe, but please allow me to show you my little creation :)

Here is obento(lunch box) I made last week!


So my fiance is generous enough to let me make this obento for his office lunch.

Obento Menu: Tako-san(Octopus-shaped) sausage, panda onigiri(rice ball) and Gudetama Tamagoyaki(Omlette) , Sesame marinated Mizuna, Soy Mirin Tebasaki(Chicken wings), and Sauteed Brussels Sprouts.


Does it look like panda?


Panda onigiri is made of rice and seaweed sheets. Inside rice ball is seasoned katsuobushi(bonito flake). Hardest part was to cut seaweed into small pieces to look like a panda.

It was the first time for me to make this kind of unique obento with animals or characters (called Charaben in Japan, usually made for kids in kindergarten or elementary school) . It was challenging but absolutely fun.

The morning I woke up at 5am and started cooking, and it took an hour to finish. It would be much shorter if I prepared seaweed in advance.

Usually, in Japan obento is made very quickly in the morning, because it wouldn't be convenient if we take too long every morning when we are busy getting ready for the day. The best way to make obento is to prepare the night before, or use leftovers.

Here is the picture he sent me from his office -- It survived subway ride in the morning rush hour in New York and still in great shape! Hope he enjoyed the meal.



I would make normal obento next time but hope he allows me to make another charaben sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment